Austin School of Film
The Austin School of Film @ Motion Media Arts Center is a 501c(3) non-profit independent film, art, and technology center that supports every aspect of production from idea to distribution. Our goal is to educate, train, and develop emerging artists of all ages to be active participants in shaping our 21st century culture.
The Austin School of Film @ Motion Media Arts Center was formed in May 2003 by combining two organizations in Austin dedicated to bringing access to, and training in, small-gauge filmmaking - Austin Cinemaker Co-op (founded 1996) and the Center for Young Cinema (CYC, founded 1999). The combined histories of these two award-winning organizations have formed an indelible foundation for a media center dedicated to educating the public about media arts tools, production standards, and career opportunities.
Whether you are a student, artist, freelancer, or professional looking to expand your skill set, the Austin School of Film provides courses designed to meet the ever evolving demands of the creative job market and digital media industry.
Our curriculum is based around hands-on course and workshops taught by media arts industry professionals and includes the very skills training employees need to work in the film/digital media field and continue on their career paths. Classes are small, intensive and utilize real-world examples.
We are not a traditional college. We are not a for-profit business. We are not a private entity. We are a non-profit media arts center and school providing affordable and accessible media arts courses for both youth and adults in Central Texas.
We are a dedicated to the belief that film and media arts can be--and is--a financially accessible art form both in and outside of the classroom.
We will work with any budget and offer scholarships for those who qualify. In addition to our classes, ASoF offers free fall, spring, and summer screening series, artist events and exhibits, artist workspace and much more.
Since 2003, we ensure the success of our students through:
- Small class size (limited at 10 to allow each student their own workstation)
- Instructors with professional experience to provide practical training
- Industry standard courses and software (Apple Certified Final Cut Pro Training, Adobe Creative Suite)
- Pay as you go (class by class)
- Payment plans and/or scholarships
- Custom tailored workforce training for businesses
- Acess to computer lab with latest software such as: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite (EX: After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop) and more
- Artist workspace for personal creative projects
- Private lessons to fit your schedule and budget
- Free production office space to independent short and feature productions
- Salons & Screening Series
- Artist Exhibits
- Film Appreciation classes and workshops under Cinemaker Programming in Super 8 & 16MM, experimental, handmade and abstract.
- Youth Outreach Programming
We train a variety of media producers from companies like Dell, Disney, Action Figure, Voodoo Cowboy, City of Austin-Channel 6, Keller Williams Realty, Seton Hospital, City of Laredo, Pflugerville ISD, Eanes ISD, First Presbyterian Church of Kingwood, Whole Foods (Austin), Austin Public Library, and Quest Ambulance Inc (McAllen, Texas).
Send us an email!